WHAT TO EXPECT DURING LASER HAIR REDUCTION?
- Oct 25, 2018 at 10:10am
- by Dr. Vishwas Patel
- The laser equipment will be adjusted according to the thickness, location of the hair to be tested, and the skin colour
- Depending on the laser or the light source used, you and the technician/doctor will need to take proper eye protection
- A cold gel(if not special cooling device) will be applied to protect the outer layer of the skin. This will help the laser light to penetrate the skin
- Next, the doctor/technician will give a pulse of the treatment area and watch the area for several minutes to make sure that the best setting were used and to check for the reactions
- After the completion of the procedure you may be given ice packs,anti inflammatory creams or lotions or cold water to ease any discomfort.
- It is preferable to schedule your next visit between 4 to 6 weeks after last treatment
- Total number of treatment varies from 4 to 6. According to type of hair, number of hair,area to be treated and type of skin
- Unwanted hair has been traditionally removed by various techniques such as shaving,bleaching,plucking,waxing,use of depilatories,electrolysis etc
- Consequently laser an light based technology for hair removal have been developed which offer rapid treatment of large areas with long lasting results
- Laser hair removal (LHR) is the most efficient method of long term hair reduction currently available. The technology has grown rapidly since the introduction of first approved system in 1995
- This technology though comparatively new has generated great interest both among doctors and patients because of its ability to delay hair regrowth,to remove large areas of hair with less discomfort and it's non invasive method
Just before the procedure, your hair that will be undergoing for treatment will be trimmed to a few millimetres above the skin surface.
- Laser hair removing is the process in which unwanted hair is removed by exposure of hair follicles to laser rays
- These laser rays destroy the hair follicles and hence provide a long term solution to the unwanted hair growth
- Laser rays are absorbed by the dark compenents in the skin i.e. melanin. Melanin is responsible for both skin colour and hair colour
- The rays are emitted of such a speed that it is absorbed by hair melanin and destroy it in a fraction of the second
- Areas around the hair follicle is not affected
HOW DOES IT WORK ?
For any other questions visit your dermatologist